Thursday, September 4, 2008

早商好

Last night I went over to Zack and Elizabeth's and we made...

...get ready for it...

NO BAKE COOKIES! I don't think you quite understand how incredible and exciting this is! It was perhaps the happiest moment imaginable. Butter is very rare and expensive here, the milk is questionable at best, but cocoa from America makes everything better. I tell you I was deliciously overjoyed. It sure doesn't take much to make me happy these days.

My favorite part of today was totally the Chinese guy with dred locks. I never thought I'd see that. I wish I could show you a picture but the bus was moving too fast. Well on second thought my favorite part might have been the bus driver pulling a jug of water out from under his seat when the bus overheated and pouring it in the radiator like this happens all the time. It probably does.

Today after lunch I just hopped on bus 23 and took it downtown and after shopping a bit I hopped on bus 10 just to see where it would take me. It went across the river to this beautiful spot that helped me appreciate why the University is called the Three Gorges University. I didn't stay long because it was getting late and I was gettin hungry but I will be back! What a gorgeous spot.

Went over to Brad's apartment today where Amy showed me how to make fried noodles, a delicious Americanized dish that I can easily make here. I'm stoked! Met two really amazing Chinese students, and had a blast. We even got to talk about some important stuff with them.

I have one major complaint. NBC.com somehow knows we are in China and won't let us watch the Office! There will be a mutiny if I can't see the new episodes this season. I realize that Chinese people are notorious for pirating shows and movies, but I am an American citizen and I am being discriminated against! I won't stand for it!


"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted."
-John Lennon

7 comments:

Krista said...

No bake cookies are the best! I'm glad you are finding foods that you like. I was afraid you were going to vanish since all of the food is questionable. lol. What is the time difference from here to there?

Unknown said...

Hi Katie!

So glad to hear you are doing well and that you seem to be finding those gastronomic opportunities that will lead to a long term satisfaction while "in country". Glad to hear that you are beginning to meet new students and even of the chance to have important discussions.

I start the new class this week on "Sabbath Economics". I spoke about it in the auditorium this week and had a good response. Several older members got up and walked out, but everyone seems to think that shows I'm starting 'new' conversations in the church that are causing some cognitive dissonance (a good thing in all respects).

Rachel and I continue to pray for you. Keep up the great posts!

Matthew

Sammie said...

I am sooooo happy for you! Cookies here are called "biscuits" but we've had some that are quite good. We even plotted mailing you and Nate and jess some butter... but we'll see. Anyway tahnks for updating so much better than i do. LOVE YOU

sevens said...

the new the office doesn't come out til September 12

katie said...

Yeah, but I still can't watch any of them on the stupid website! It hates me.

Vanover Adventures said...

First of all- I LOVE LOVE LOVE no bake cookies... and secons of all- HELLO LADY! Hoe in the world are you??? From reading your blog I cxan see you are very busy traveling ALL OVER!!! How fun! I hope you are loving, well at least getting sttled in to life in Japan. Stay in touch! (Thanks for taking a look at our babies...they are So grown up already!!)

Love you sister! Jenny

Caleb said...

Check on Hulu. They have a few epsiodes of the Office out.