Friday, June 12, 2009

晚饭和好朋友

The only complaint I could possibly have about yesterday was the bananas mixed with mayonnaise.  Could there be a more disgusting dish?  I spent all day preparing a feast with my friends Sabrina and James, getting ready for an end-of-the-year party with nine of my friends.  We were grocery shopping together and Sabrina suggested a salad.  I had my doubts about her idea of a salad but went with it for the sake of adventure.  She bought a jar of mayonnaise.  I was wondering what was next but kept my mouth shut.  When we got home she asked me to make the salad and I gave her my most confused look and said, "But I don't have anything to make a salad with."  I used my carrots in the chicken and dumplings, and didn't have any lettuce.  That's when James came to the rescue.  He had bought a bunch of bananas, and they proceeded to cut them into pieces and coat them with mayonnaise.    I couldn't even hide my look of disgust, no matter how hard I tried.  No one else seemed to share my revulsion and the whole dish was gone by the end of the night.

I tried to forget how much they loved the "salad" when they also complimented my cooking, and convince myself that my food really was delicious.  But you just can't go wrong with food and friends.  There's no way to ruin that combination.  My oven has become a serious health hazard, and I couldn't even turn it on yesterday (which is probably better than the ball of fire it sometimes becomes) so I improvised and made cobbler in the microwave.  Surprisingly it turned out great.  When we had all stuffed ourselves to the bursting point we had to play the Chinese version of Paper/Rock/Scissors to decide who had to finish the dishes.  My apartment never feels more like a home than when it's filled with laughter and the smell of good food.  It was a great way to finish our semester-long study group.


"Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all."
-Harriet van Horne

1 comment:

Sammie said...

Now that quote is brilliance in 15 words.