Monday, March 16, 2009

今天是很好

Sometimes you just need to stop and give thanks.

This week has been rough to say the least but through it all I'm being inwardly renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. I went to lunch with Emma, Zack, Elizabeth, and Bruce today, and we decided to get chao fan, jiao zi, and other transportable vittles and eat on the hill above Sogo in honor of the sunshine that bravely fought off the clouds today. We had a leisurely picnic followed by ice cream before heading back to my apartment for some fellowship.

Ice cream. At least that's what we thought it was. In fact what we got were some pea and red-bean flavored popsicles. Please observe closely the beans in Emma's frozen delight, as she tells us how delicious it is. You can see the lovely picture on the pea-flavored one as Zack tried it after watching me turn the color of the package when I tried it. Apparently something in my expression made it irresistable.
There were times last semester where I wondered what I was doing here, and if I was doing any good at all. Now I've got three groups learning with me every week, and they keep growing. Sometimes there isn't room for everyone. I am amazed anew every day. Some ask really difficult questions, some just want to know more.

Please continue to petition for wisdom and peace, and open hearts.




“It’s not who you are underneath; it’s what you do, that defines you.”

4 comments:

Sommer said...

Haha Katie I agree that those red bean pop sickles are not so good! I picked one up in Japan thinking it was strawberry, needless to say I was very unpleasantly surprised when it was not strawberry and tasting like frozen beans...Dave McKenzie wouldn't even eat it it tasted so bad! Dr. Jones' 3 year old son Eric liked those pea ones though...

Hope you're having a great week!!

TaiYang said...

Yay for Batman!!

Sammie said...

sick. Yuriko made us some kind of japanese pancakes with bean stuff in them. they were supposed to be dessert.

Anonymous said...

It brings me such joy to hear how you're enjoying yourself in China and the way that you are finding the path that's been laid out for you. Keep it up! We miss you lots, but the one who sacrifices much will gain much.