Wednesday, February 25, 2009

离开不离开

I came to the sudden realization today that my time in China is slipping away far too rapidly. By that I do not at all intend to imply that I don't miss any of you wonderful people or that I plan to live here forever but I feel like I'm just getting started. My work isn't close to finished. It's taken far too long for me to figure out what I'm doing and adjust to a life vastly different from anything I've known before.

The decision about a second year looms threateningly over my every thought and I'm no nearer to a conclusion than I was on that first fear-filled day. I tried making a pros/cons list but it's hard to know how to weight each item. For example the ability to buy coffee can in no way compensate for the feeling that I'm doing something of eternal significance. The fact that I'll be paying my student loans off for the next nine years seems infinitely trivial next to a person reading the good news for the first time in their life.

In honor of my flip-flopping any politician would envy, I'd like to survey the readers of this blog. Please submit your opinion for consideration.


"Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in a lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope."
-Reinhold Niebuhr

9 comments:

babyblueeyed girl said...

my vote is for you to fallow your heart
meaning taking time to actually listen to it as my kiki would say for that is where God lies in us and that is where he speaks to us
i know its hard but you have to trust your self and do whats right for you
i would love to have you back here and be with you but i also know you have heart to serve others all over the world and leave your mark on every content and every place go and every person you meet
you are so strong
but i know this where i get mean i know you have loans to stress about but i ask to not make the money a factor of the dission leave that out and weigh other options, feelings input
and in the end dont please us please God for if you do that you will please your self

TaiYang said...

Stay
:)

Beth said...

Father will show you where he wants you. I will say year 2 is far more amazing because you know a lot more. Lifting you up to Dad.

Amy said...

Stay! :)

Honestly, I felt the exact same way you do after year one...that it was unfinished. You'll know when its your time to leave b/c you'll have peace about it. Lifting you up!

Anonymous said...

Reading your pros/cons comparisons, it feels like you're leaning in one direction already.. but what is the One in control saying? The fact that you said you're no nearer to the conclusion tells me that any worrying you've done between then and now hasn't been to much avail.

God has a funny way of taking care of our worries when we surrender them to Him. I'm sure when push comes to crunch, the decision will be clear.

I know this viewpoint isn't that helpful in being decisive, but I pray you'll be able to be patient in letting Him to show you what He wants you to do in the next year.

Sammie said...

I have no opinion.

Sammie said...

Why can't I be a flip-flopper too?? Well I sometimes think I'd really like to go to China when I get done here, but then also sometimes I think I'd just really like to go back to the states. It's true that you may be able to accomplish more next year, but you've already done a lot, and you do have to worry about student loans. I just don't know. I know! Get me out of here and I'll come to China with you!!!

Caleb said...

I gotta agree with Adam, there don't really seem to be any cons for staying.

Anonymous said...

stay.

i wish i was there now.