Friday, February 20, 2009

我是外国语学院的老师

I loved my students last semester and I really miss teaching several of them.

But this semester, I walked into a roomful of smiling English-majors with their books out on their desks, reading the first chapter in preparation (I didn't have the heart to tell them that the book stinks and I'm not really using it). When I asked a question, I got an answer! When we played a game, people talked! It's only been one week but so far I haven't had anyone talking on the phone in class, I have only had to take away one cell phone for sending text messages. At the very least they are better at hiding it, which is fine by me. They love English and want to learn it. I wish every teacher could experience life so good!

To top it off, everyone is back on campus after a month's hiatus. Everywhere I go I see old friends reuniting, I get calls and messages from my friends saying they want to see me. The coffee shop is once again a haven for me to retreat to after a long day. I was elated to walk in and be greeted like an old friend by some of my favorite people in YiChang. Even the weather seemed to smile on us yesterday, hinting that spring is indeed approaching. Opportunities abound to make an impact on young minds, and I hope I take advantage of every one.

I didn't make any New Years Resolutions, I never have, but now I feel like setting forth some goals for this new semester. A new year calls for a new Katie.
1. Be a better teacher. It's vague but also somewhat inevitable. Since last semester was my first time ever to teach, I have a feeling I can't help but improve. However I have several ideas to help that happen.
2. Be more purposeful.
3. Talk to the One in control more often. Stop trying to do things alone.
4. Learn to play a few songs on the guitar that graces my living room, instead of using it as decoration.

Sorry for the eclectic post this morning, just some things on my mind today.


“Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself.”
-Leo Tolstoy

4 comments:

babyblueeyed girl said...

katie im so glad things are going so well
i miss you so much
i love you
and i know your a great teacher

Anonymous said...

Your return to YiChang almost sounds like Cheers - where everybody knows your name.. :)

I like your goals for the semester! I hope you also think of good ways to measure them, so that when the semester is up, you can always go back to this list and be able to identify what has changed.

Oh and for the record; I quite like eclecticism. Oh oh and I laughed at what you put above the comment box, 'Say something yo' :)

Sammie said...

duh they love you.. who wouldn't?

that's a long title!

katie said...

It says, "I'm a Foreign Language College teacher."