Wednesday, February 25, 2009

雨今天

At the first few rumbles that ripped across the sky I didn't bother to look out the window. I'm so used to the never-ending fireworks that the prospect of thunder seemed about as likely as a clear blue sky. For the first time in 6 months I am watching the awesome power of a storm. Lightening stretches across the sky in streaks that seem to reach from another world. It might be hard to believe but one of the things I miss about Oklahoma (yes there are some things) is the thunderstorms. It rains at least 50% of the time in China but until tonight I had not seen lightening or heard thunder. It's been more of a constant depressing drizzle that hides the sun and chills the bones. The wimpy little rain drops can barely even be felt. Tonight's thunder doesn't rival an Oklahoma storm but it's attempt is enough to satisfy me. For a few moments the entire campus gets illuminated in an eery glow. I thought for a second that my power had gone out again, but to my relief it's just the switch in my living room has had enough of my constant handling, so Christmas lights provide the only relief from my view of the brief flashes outside. It's too dark to know if the sky is turning greenish but I have a feeling the excitement of tornado season is going to bypass me completely this year. A storm's might is a vivid reminder of the awe the heavens hold. I'm going to sit back and enjoy the fury until it has spent all of its energy.


How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
-The Great Bob Dylan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa.. you paint a luridly vivid picture there; wish I could be there to witness it!

I find it interesting how constant fireworks can make one feel a little blase about it - especially considering that for most people, the excitement of pyrotechnics inspires almost child-like wonder and delight..

babyblueeyed girl said...

wow i wish i could be there with you
i miss you so much
i love you