Sunday, February 15, 2009

恩施大峡谷

I had my world strapped against my back and I set off in pursuit of that elusive rascal, adventure. In a country brimming with misty mountains and rugged cliffs, there are quite a few spots famed for their beauty. Enshi's "Big Gorge Valley" may be robbed of its prominence by the countless other majestic scenes splashed around Hubei Province and the surrounding country, but it loses none of its splendor to competition.
Precipitous abysses line trails that even Indiana Jones would shudder at. Clouds hover around the base of cliff faces that pierce the sky with their jaggedness.

See that tiny little line at the top? That's the trail we took...




As I sat for a few hours and contemplated the majesty of the rock fingers reaching for heaven it struck me that those cliffs were fulfilling their purpose both figuratively and literally. They point to the one who made them with all their might, while the utter beauty of those shrines also captivates your soul and makes it yearn for the one who created such grandeur. I wondered, am I doing the same? These simple rocks silently light the way to all that is good. Is my life as clear a beacon?


I was a little envious of Jacob's comfortable rock pillow the night he dreamt of a Stairway to Heaven. I'm pretty sure he got more sleep than me. Tired and sore as I was, it was a camping trip to remember. What can be better than friends around a campfire roasting marshmallows, singing praises, and losing yourself in the shadows from the starlight (softer than a lullabye)?

Singing to myself were the whole realm of nature mine, that were a present far too small, I tried to grasp a present larger or more desireable.





















"Love so amazing, so divine
demands my soul, my life, my all"

5 comments:

Caleb said...

Wow. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

Dear Katie Marshall,
You are the love of my life! Okay just kidding but you are still pretty awesome! I am glad you got an adventure!!!! I cant wait to hear all about everything!!!!

babyblueeyed girl said...

katie sister love
im so excited for your advantures and love the pics amazing

Sammie said...

WOW

Anonymous said...

Wooowww.. love the pictures and your commentary. God's definitely given you a gift with words :)