Tuesday, October 7, 2008

听不懂

Today I correctly ordered a coffee flavored Milk Tea, medium, cold, with the little gummy balls at the bottom; all in Chinese, all without making a mistake. This is truly a milestone to be remembered. It was the perfect compliment to my day of sitting in the sunshine by the pink blossoms and the bamboo patch with a good book. I had grand plans of cleaning my filthy apartment, but when the sun is shining you shouldn't waste it. It's a rare enough occurance that it's highly valuable. I choose not to squander the precious rays on something that can be done after the golden light has faded. After all,
"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles today
tomorrow will be dying."


Last night the girl that I have been studying with came over with one of her friends, and she gave me a gorgeous silk scarf that I'm afraid to even touch for fear of ruining it. She also brought some DVDs of her favorite singer so that I could learn some traditional Chinese music. We had been talking about this singer, because one of the things she loves about her is her generosity to the poor. That reminded me of someone else who encourages giving to the poor, so naturally I brought that up.

Looking forward to showing Dead Poet's Society to my classes tomorrow; hence the quote above. I hope it has as much of an impact on them as it has had on me.

No comments: