Tuesday, November 3, 2009

今晚我很高兴

I felt the first frosty bite of fall this morning as I crunched leaves all the way to class.  It's scent is even wafting through my apartment, because I've been snatching up every pumpkin that shows itself around the market, to ensure enough pies to last all the way through November.  The changing of seasons is sure to invigorate the most dull life, though in a few weeks I'll almost certainly be complaining about the ache in my fingers and the insatiable shivers cold weather brings.  Just when I begin to feel that life is mundane the weather shifts and sends a spark of newness through every day activities.  I'm enjoying the crispy air but to please my concerned Chinese friends, who are convinced that I'm never wearing enough clothes I've begun bundling up in lots of layers and scarves.

My bones may ache from the cold but my heart has been thoroughly warmed again and again.  Tonight I felt like I might burst from happiness as I sat around and chatted with my friends about the kind of love that would inspire someone to sacrifice their life for others.  We talked for hours about what it means to be selfless, and how we can love others more fully, and our whole group came to the conclusion that we want to do more.  To that end, we have proposed an outing or two, to a school for disabled children, and we're going to play with them and teach them English.  I hope it works out!  I've been really wanting to do something like that but didn't know how to get started.


"When God created October he said this is when we are going to play college football."
-Beano Cook
[I know it's not October anymore, but it didn't feel like football weather til just now.]

3 comments:

Fradam said...

Wow.. that is so encouraging to hear! Spread the love and keep us posted on how it goes :)

P.S. We had the hottest day since January, yesterday.. and it is only spring. If you begin to lament the chills in time, warmer climates are close by!

babyblueeyed girl said...

wow katie im so excited so you
i <3 fall but you much much more
thank you for this uplifting note
it means so much
love you
:)

Sammie said...

you're awesome. (that's my best cam spencer impression.)