Sunday, December 14, 2008

上下

The enormous crash made me jump and my skin crawl.

I sat on the couch for a minute trying to decide what could have exploded, and what to do about it.

At first I thought it was my toilet, which has been leaking for a few months. My next guess was that the shower floor had finally fallen into the apartment below, like it has been threatening to do since I moved in. But I can see into my bathroom from the living room and I didn't see anything extraordinary. That lit a fire in my curiosity and I began exploring room by room.

When I first surveyed the kitchen I didn't see anything unusual. But something wasn't quite right. My second glance showed the top of the stove (which happens to be glass) wasn't smooth anymore. It has nice sharp edges sticking out everywhere, not to mention parts that were caved in as well as a spider-web vein of cracks all over. I haven't even used that stove since the first week I moved in, because the one by the window works much better, and I was always a little nervous about the gas inside. It made one giant flame instead of staying in the burner area like I am pretty sure it is supposed to. Something caused the thing to explode, I'm just glad there wasn't any more damage. Aside from the minor blast in my kitchen, today was almost too great to put into words.

From singing Away in a Manger in three different tunes, to getting a jar of homemade salsa from Elizabeth, to discovering the world's best sweet & sour pork at Up Down, to hearing I Like It, I Love It in the Spar. Probably the last thing I ever thought I'd hear in China would be Tim McGraw. You just can't beat a day in China. Don't believe me? Come find out for yourself!


"If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide."
Mohandas Gandhi

4 comments:

Beth said...

Your post... wow! I can't tell you how much I was scared about that shower falling through the floor! Tang cu liji from UpDown... that almost makes me cry because I CRAVE it so much. That is the exact dish I miss the most! Love the blog Katie!

Sammie said...

You're incredible. I didn't get a voicemail about this though... boo. All I heard was "Hello?.... static....static.....hello?"
Then the next voicemail was ".......static....static.......hello?.......static"

I haven't heard any Tim McGraw down here, but I did see a billboard for Broks & Dunn. Are there really enough bad country fans in this entire country to buy tickets to that?

:) love you

katie said...

Sammie I really hope not. And sorry about the non-informative nor interesting voicemails. The one I thought I left you would have been quite the story. And Beth,
I'm so glad to hear we share a fear of the inevitable shower collapse and a love for the Tang cu liji. YUM! Thanks for reading my blog, it makes me feel loved!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the crash wasn't something you use everyday! That would be sad to no longer had a toilet or shower. Good thing you have 2 stoves. haha. With talk about homemade salsa and delicious Chinese food I'm ready for lunch!