Friday, December 12, 2008

请说普通话

My fourth class today was really trying my nerves. They acted horribly--talking on their cell phones, playing music, and not speaking English. When I got visibly irritated they started to feel bad, so they sang a song for me as an apology. An entire class singing "Wo xihuan ni...something something" off key and off beat will take the frown off your face any day. For future reference if one of you makes me mad, just sing me a song. I couldn't stay mad if I tried.

One of the things I often complain about is how I miss my friends coming over unannounced whenever they want. When I lived in Phase IV, people were constantly coming over to my apartment, and it was always filled with people I love. Some of them were there so often that I thought they were my roommates. Wednesday night I didn't have any plans and I wasn't feeling top-notch so I didn't make any, I was just going to stay home and drink hot chocolate by the heater. One of my friends called and said she needed to ask me a question, so I invited her over and checked her paper for mistakes (something I'm quite used to doing after 4 1/2 years of college). One of her classmates and my friend called and invited himself over too, so we ended up cooking dinner together. The two of them were planning to go to the overcrowded, frigid library to study and I talked them into staying with me. So they sat in my warm apartment and studied while I knitted a scarf. I'm so glad people feel comfortable coming over whenever they want to.


“If you want to travel fast, go alone.
If you want to travel far, go together.”
-African Proverb

2 comments:

Sammie said...

that's one of my favourite things as well. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that African Proverb! It's definitely something I completely agree with. :)