Sunday, March 21, 2010

我已经决定

If you ask me what the secret of life is I just might tell you. Catch me at the right time and I might say it’s watching the sun rise as you soak in the promise of a new day. Or I may look you in the eyes and say that it is undeniably losing all your inhibitions and dancing with the old people in Yiling Square. More often than not I’ll tell you it’s a piece of pumpkin pie melting on your tongue. (Given long enough I’ll reduce everything to terms of food.)

But the truth is—I don’t have all the answers. This life is an infinite mystery that I’m happy not to completely understand. Maybe the search for it is enough.
Call it what you want, but I’m convinced that everybody’s got the itch in them. All of us are searching for meaning. We want the things we do to have significance. I live in a place where most of the people believe that their lives are not significant. They were taught that they were just a cosmic accident, and live accordingly. This doesn’t mean these people can’t be happy; many of them appreciate life just as fully as someone with a trust in a bigger picture—but not all.

I’ve also seen a lot of people who can’t accept what they are told life is. Lots of the people I meet are looking for more. They ask questions, they want to know if there is another explanation. They’ve been captured by the beauty of the night sky, or the innocence of a newborn baby. It strikes a chord within them that continues to echo despite the explanations the world offers.
Within the last week, two friends of mine have found another answer to the question their lives ask. Both of them found a relationship with someone who has been quietly knocking on the door for a long time. They’ve discovered that what some would call uneducated and archaic instead reverberates wisdom. Two people started life again this week. They’ve been washed clean, and we are proud to call them our brother and sister.


"Total surrender, the absolute leap in the dark were demanded. The reality with which no treaty can be made was upon me. The demand was not even 'All or nothing' ... the demand was simply 'All.' "
- C.S. Lewis

5 comments:

J. Cus said...

You inspire me. But I'm going to have to stop reading your blog since every time I want to write about something that's happened to both of us, you've already done it better. ;)

katie said...

:) beautifully said.

katie said...

oh whoops this is your sister who logged into your account. SORRY!

Justin said...

you need to shave

Unknown said...

Great retelling.

Yay! Yay! Yay! for Him and for them.