Monday, March 8, 2010

妇女的天

Today in class one of my students came up to my desk and I smiled and said, "Hi Mark!"  Everyone started laughing and his face turned red as he ran away.  About 45 minutes later he came up to my desk again and stood there looking nervous.  I decided not to embarrass him again by paying attention to him so I continued to grade papers until a few minutes later he leaned over and said, "Happy Women's Day!" in a very practiced voice.  Then he ran away with a huge smile on his face.

Last year I got a text message from a friend wishing me a Happy Women's Day and when I replied asking what Women's Day was, this is the response I got:
"In China we think men are important than women but women must be in some position so women's day was born."

Happy Women's Day!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon again, once again true. However, I must confess, when I was 3-4, my older sister was learning to read and she was bringing home all these books. I told my mom I wanted to be a girl so that I could read. Needless to say, dad started reading my bedtime stories.

Have a great day!

Jacob

Sarah B said...

haha thats funny that you mentioned that because my Chinese german teacher wished us a happy womans day today in class! Or I guess she wished us a happy Frau's Tag!

Chuck Doswell said...

It's very evident that China is still a patriarchal society. I think things are changing ... slowly. Being human is difficult, regardless of gender. If you think the grass is greener on the other side, you're not getting it.

Chuck Doswell said...

I should also say that most of the Chinese women I've known are quite intelligent, and show considerable inner strength! If Chinese men think they're superior to their women, they're just not getting it.

Sammie said...

at least they admit that they think men are more important than women.

MomMarsh said...

Happy Women's Day to you. I am very proud of you.
Love,
Mom