Tuesday, May 12, 2009

我能用左手吃饭

Occasionally I like to challenge myself, you know, just to prove how talented I really am.  I've gotten pretty good at using chopsticks, in fact they feel more like an extension of my hand than a foreign utensil.  So I decided I'd better step it up a notch.  I mean, anybody can use their right hand, but only a real pro could eat left handed.

So I was making chocolate bread this morning for my evening study group, at the request of James and I went to light my oven...The one that had the minor explosion several months ago.  I lit the fire and it went out after a few seconds, so I reached back down in the bottom and sparked the lighter a second time.  BIG mistake.  A ball of fire the size of my oven came rushing at me, removing all the hair from my arm, some from my eyebrows, and nearly incinerating my hand.

Since then I've been alternating two wet towels between the freezer and my charred right hand.  At lunch I was either about to cry or cut my hand off, so rather than eat I went and got some Chinese medicine to put on it, which looked like poop and smelled worse.  That's when the challenge began.  It's nearly impossible to eat with your right hand when it's smeared with poop sauce and balancing an ice cream bar from the nearby vendor.  I can now say I've used chopsticks with my left hand but I wouldn't exactly call it a success.  Not much food made it in my open mouth.

While the medicine was supposedly healing my burn I was whining non-stop about the pain so Zack took me to get some pain killers too so that I could be comfortably numb.

"There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ships smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I cant hear what youre sayin."
-Pink Floyd

6 comments:

Krista said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry about your hand, and your arm, and your eyebrows! I'm sure you won't be making that mistake again. I hope it heals quickly!

Fradam said...

Ohmy! So sorry to hear it, I hope it all heals up quick :/ Hrmm... what happened with the chocolate bread?

I once jarred the fingers in my right hand at a basketball game, right before going out to dinner at a Japanese place -- needless to say, it sounds like I fared about as well as you did.

Dr.Oswin said...

You are grounded young lady. No more cooking until you learn how to light up old self exploding chinese ovens...:-)...how are you feeling now. Dont burst the blisters if they come up. They'll burst when they think the time is right.:-)

babyblueeyed girl said...

i hope you heal soon
i love you
i miss you

Ai Tian Tian said...

Sorry to hear babe :( Not sure if I told you but my bed/ I caught on fire because of an electric blanket and burnt my toes. I wish you a speedy recovery. You need your hands so much more than your toes!
Love you

Sammie said...

Don't you know that when you cook your appendages, you're supposed to wrap them in bubble wrap?