Thursday, November 27, 2008

我的朋友

The Happy Thanksgiving and/or "Happy Thanks Gaven" messages began at 7:20 yesterday morning, and flowed continuously until my phone couldn't handle it anymore and gave out. It decided it didn't want to send or recieve any more messages for a few days. I don't really blame it. The sky, on the other hand, had a much cheerier disposition than my cell phone, giving me two full days of cloudless blue sky and sunshine, and I even saw stars! That's how I knew it was going to be a good day. I was walking my friends home Wednesday night after our pumpkin pie experience, when I looked up and gasped. "STARS!" I shouted, acting like I had never seen them before. The girls are as accustomed to cloudy skies as I am and did not even react to my momentary insanity, they simply proclaimed that meant it would be a beautiful day on Thanksgiving. And they were absolutely right. I had to add one more thing to my brimming list of things to be thankful for. Blue skies are definitely a reason for excitement. The last few days have been joyous. Typically I'm a Scrooge and I refuse to listen to Christmas music until about a week before Christmas, because to be honest I hate most of it. Yesterday; however, I unabashedly blared Christmas music while I cooked. I lit a candle and turned on my Christmas lights around the dead tree and felt like it was truly a holiday.

Apparently we had an earthquake here in Yichang last Saturday and I didn't even know it. I'm a little bit disappointed that I didn't even feel a tremor, because I've never experienced an earthquake before. Not that I wish one to happen, but since it did, I wish I would have known it. I live on the fourth floor so I'm not sure how I didn't even notice, when one of my friends was on the third floor and was so scared she ran outside. I must not be very observant when the ground is shaking under me.


As I have proudly declared before, pumpkin pie is my favorite food, and I find it tragic that so many people on this earth have never tried it before, so Wednesday night I had a group of students over and fed them all this delight. They all claimed it was "delicious" and I hope they weren't just lying to me to make me feel good :) Of course delicious is sometimes the only word that can be used to describe food in their eyes. Here are a few of us:



“God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say ‘thank you’?”
-William A. Ward

2 comments:

Sammie said...

Hooray for stars and sunshine and pumpkin pie and friends and YOU

Anonymous said...

Yay for sharing the joy of pumpkin pie! I'm glad you are such a sharing person. Keep sharing. I'm glad too that you had beautiful weather from above to accompany the holiday. I really like Christmas music. Not all of it but some of it is so very beautiful. haha.