Saturday, November 22, 2008

山水人生

Butter is back at 北山! Hallelujah!

Last week I asked each of my students to tell me the best thing that has ever happened to them. Best idea I've ever had. Only a handful of them understood what I was asking, which made for some incredible answers. I've only graded three of my eight classes' yet so there may be even greater hidden treasures just waiting for me. Here are just a few of my favorites:

13. "The first time when I own my living room with a big bookshelf." I can actually sympathize with that one I guess.
12. "I think the best thing that ever happened to me is that: I had ever met a beautiful girl, and she smilled to me!"
11. "I can sleep until I wake up by myself on a soft bed. I have a big abdomen to eat all food which I want to eat or drink. I also have a very health body which is based on my perfect life. I have enough knowledge to slove all the world's big or small problem to keep the blance of world."
10. "When I have chose what I need to buy in a supermarket and need to pay then, I suddenly found that my purse left at home." I think she meant the worst thing that had ever happened...
9. "The best day is my childrenhood." Not exactly what I was looking for...
8. "When my English teacher give me a 'A' in this exam." Keep in mind this exam hasn't happened yet.
7. "The day which I came to the world." Okay fair enough.
6. "Make call with my girlfriend every night." That's really the best thing that's ever happened to you??? Ever?
5. "I can walk single-handed." I guess not everyone can say that.
4. "The girl who I ran after refused me when I was in middle school, because after that I concentrated on studying." That's really looking at the glass half-full.
3. "I can land in the Moon or other stars and see the beautiful sky in the Moon." I'm not sure what planet this person was on today.
2. "The real dignity of a man lies in what knowledge he has, not in what appearance he has." When you don't understand the question, just make something up!
1. "A small orange tree which was planted when I was young has grown up and now, there are many oranges on it." I have no witty comment for this one, it just blew me away.

I visited the Coffee Shop (山水人生)again today and Buo Lin wrote my name in my cappuccino with chocolate syrup! Check it out:
This is the famous Buo Lin himself, making Thomas' 'Ireland Coffee.' They're gonna be on CCTV next week so I asked for an autograph.And in honor of coffee in general I present to you a sign I found at a shop on Coffee Street in Wuhan (my new favorite street):
Ladies and Gentelmen, "We are opposite but sit, Drink the coffee; Hear the beautiful melody in that melody, Tasty life in bitterly and sweetly."

3 comments:

Amy said...

Butter is back!? Of course, the day I come back from metro with tons of frozen butter. :)

Sammie said...

that was poetic. I LOVE YOU

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome! Don't you just love language and even better learning a new one. Reading english translations always makes me wonder if I don't sound just as funny when I try to speak their language.