Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The end

It's 2am, and I'm still cleaning before my 6am departure.  I'm still cleaning because I had the perfect last day.  I didn't spend a minute of it at home.

Home is sweltering hot.  My air-conditioner's been broken since the day I switched it from heat, so when I'm here I feel like the main course of some cosmic barbecue.  I went downtown with Zhang XiaQing, my best friend here, to exchange money today and while we were shrinking my pile of cash we found the world's best dumpling shop.  I'm telling you, food doesn't get any better than that.  After running all my last-minute errands we went over to Zack's air-conditioned oasis.  Our sister Han Lu came over and taught us all how to make baozi.  When all of our appendages were sufficiently covered in flour the doorbell rang, and it was Zack's neighbor, bringing us cake in celebration of her birthday.  We went over and sang Happy Birthday and shared our fresh baozi.

When I couldn't eat another bite we watched the World Cup for a while, then XiaQing, Kuang Yu, and I went for a walk.  It was sufficiently cool enough outside to make it worth braving the prowling ground of the mosquito hordes, and we stayed out til 12:30, talking, singing, and laughing.  XiaQing has been staying with me for the last few weeks, and Han Lu for the last few nights, so we headed home for the evening.  Han Lu reached out, took my hand and XiaQings, and began to pray for us.  I was overwhelmed with gratefulness at the opportunity to know these amazing people.

I couldn't imagine a better way to end my time in China, than to spend it with my closest friends…my family.  I've been blessed.

1 comment:

Dr.Oswin said...

that was such a wonderful evening u had...cant have a better send off i guess....and btb, i started internship today..was a good experience with friends to help around