Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Things I'm going to miss about China: 我的学生

 It's probably not the hallmark of a good teacher to cry in class, but as I said goodbye to my students today I couldn't help it.  Today was my final day as an English Professor at Three Gorges University.  Right before the exam started my students crowded around my desk with a vase of flowers, a card, and a notebook in which each of the 70 English majors had written a page to tell me how much they'll miss me.  As if I needed another reason to be sad about leaving.  Here is a sampling of their messages:


"Hi.  Guess who I’m.  Yes.  It’s Heather, who admires you.

Er.  I have so much to say that I even don’t know where to start.  First of all, you’re the most beautiful and loveliest foreign teacher I have ever met.  Yes.  It’s the truth!  The most beautiful decoration on your face is your shinning smile!  I liked you when the first time I saw you.  Do you know why?  That’s your sweet smile that impressed me most.  But the more I know you. the more I like you.  but when we have a test.  we are afraid of you.  Because you can be very secrious about the exam.  So you told us the high mark should be got by you hardwork.  Not by cheating.  I really like this.

I scream, You scream.  We all scream for ice cream  西西…I like it very much.  You can’t believe it.  I always speak out it even today.

Time really flies.  You have taught me for one year.  I really love thise course.  Maybe I still remember clearly what you did during each class to make the atmosphere more vivid and interesting.  That really move me a lot.  Anyway, what I wanna say most is Thank you!  You made us feel at ease when learning English.  You are a good girl.

May you find your Mr Right and be happy everyday.  To be honest, I really don’t want you to leave.

Give you a sentence I like most:  “you never know where you are going until you know where you have been.”

It seems that where there is (are) you there is smile.

(Tell you a secret:  I have always been fond of seeing your earrings every class.  They’re really beautiful =) !!)

(find a  ideal husband early)"

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That was so sweet! I'm sure you will treasure that book for a long time.

P.S. Is that a Christmas card they gave you?

StanAllen said...

yes find a husband-lol that is so great, I also love you
Dad

Chuck Doswell said...

Yes, I love Chinese students very much. They are so attentive and appreciative of what you have brought to them. I miss them very much, too! Thank you for your articulation of my feelings, every time I return from China! How can you help from loving them, too!!

katie said...

Yep, it's most definitely a Christmas card.